Monday, March 19, 2007

Fast times at Massart high

Well, due to the swift and unfortunate death of my ten year old printer this morning, my book does not quite have the universal benefits of, say, having all its peices in the same place at the same time. This is a grievous occurrence and will be remedied post haste.

I learned that kid's stories, specifically the antique ones, circa the Brother's Grimm and Lewis Caroll, are not just happy-go-lucky tales to delight and entertain. Some of the stories are quite brutal and gruesome, like at the end of Snow White when the wicked Queen is forced to put on iron slippers that have been heated in the fire and dance until she drops down dead. It might not seem like part of my original conception but I put these shocking parts of the stories into my book to show further that the line between "adult concepts" and children isn't that visible. I think its interesting that children's authors used to put things like that in their stories, and maybe as a response the people and kids reading them would respond more honestly, more wholly to these stories.

It was hard to think up ways to set up photos to illustrate the passages of the stories I had picked out, and I'm still not finished with it. I guess I wanted a more industrial feel to the whole thing, more pictures of the actual city and not just taken in my apartment. I am thinking of redoing some of the pictures.

No comments: